Chesapeake Roving Ranger
Our mobile visitor center, the Chesapeake Roving Ranger, is a traveling visitor contact and information center staffed by the Chesapeake Conservancy and National Park Service. The Ranger travels throughout the watershed and takes up shop at parks, events, and festivals. Visitors to the Roving Ranger can collect a National Park passport stamp, pick up special junior ranger program books related to the Chesapeake Bay watershed, and participate in interpretive programs.
This season in addition to showcasing a number of fresh activities, the Ranger is sporting a new look! In early spring 2018, the vehicle underwent a refit and now features a brand new popup window, solar panels, and additional graphics that include a brand new hands-on Bay watershed map. The Ranger is hard to miss, it’s the size of a delivery truck and features large, beautiful scenes of the Chesapeake Bay on all sides.
Even with the summer season coming to an end, the Ranger will still be at public events and festivals related to the natural and cultural heritage of the Chesapeake Bay into late fall. Below is a list of some of the Ranger’s upcoming appearances:
- October 5: Blessing of the Fleet, St. Clements Island Museum
- October 12: Festival Del Rio, Bladensburg Waterfront Park
- October 19-20: US Oysterfest, St. Mary’s County Fairgrounds
- November 1-3: Downrigging Festival, Sultana Education Foundation, Chestertown, Maryland
- May 5: Go Wild Event – Rappahannock River Valley National Wildlife Refuge – Tappahannock
- May 18: Clean Bread and Cheese Creek – Stansbury Park
July 20: Chesapeake & Ohio Canal NHP, Great Falls Tavern July 27: Es Mi Parque at Rocky Gap State Park August 10: Lotus Blossom Festival, Mt. Harmon Plantation August 11: Watermen’s Appreciation Day, Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, St. Michaels, Maryland August 17: Es Mi Parque at Patapsco Valley State Park
For any questions or to schedule the Roving Ranger at your event, contact Michael Bowman.