The Giving Tree
When we give of ourselves, we get so much back. Your generosity and compassion makes the Chesapeake Bay a healthier, happier place.
Join us as we work toward our goal of planting 27,000 live stakes — baby trees — along eight miles of streams in the Susquehanna River watershed this upcoming fall and spring. When these stakes grow into full-sized trees and shrubs, their roots will absorb runoff before it enters the stream. Their leaves will provide shade for the water and food for insects. Land animals like beavers, elk, songbirds, and others will also get food and shelter from the trees.
Planting live stakes is a low-cost, easy way to improve water quality and the health of wildlife. And you can make that happen.
Thank you to the donors who have given to this campaign.
First, volunteers take live cuttings from trees and shrubs.
If the stakes won’t be planted immediately, we store them in refrigerated units.
Finally, we plant them within 15 feet of the stream so they can provide maximum benefits!
Click here to see a special Story Map that further explains the live stake project, and to see exactly where your gift is making a difference for water quality.
We want to give back to you!
When you make your gift to Chesapeake Conservancy by September 30th, you’ll receive these awesome benefits.
- Your name will be added to the Giving Tree. Make a gift of any amount to see the Giving Tree bloom with your name!
- You can get a section of live stakes dedicated in your name. Make a gift of $50 or more and check out the Story Map below to see your name tagged on one of the planting locations in celebration of your gift. Share the link to the map with your friends and followers so everyone knows that you made this project possible.
- You can receive emailed project updates. Make a gift of $50 or more to receive exclusive updates on the live stakes project and all of Chesapeake Conservancy’s work.
- You can be spotlighted in Chesapeake Conservancy’s newsletter. Make a gift of $100 or more, and we’ll feature your name in Shorelines for a special thank you.
- You can receive a personalized update from the field. Make a gift of $250 or more, and our field staff will send you a special thank you photo from one of the live stake plantings. For a gift of $500 or more, they’ll send you a handwritten note. Learn from an insider just how your gift is making a difference for impaired streams.
- You can take part in one of the plantings. Make a gift of $500 or more, and you will have the chance to participate in one of the plantings planned for this upcoming winter. Visit the place that your gift is helping to restore, meet the team, and plant some stakes of your own.
- You can get it all. Sign up for monthly gifts of any amount, and you’ll get all of the benefits listed above. Plus, you’ll receive monthly video updates from Chesapeake Conservancy staff members. Get the scoop on the latest conservation projects from the people on the ground doing the work. When you make your gift, just select “Yes” on the online donation form where it asks you to “Make It Monthly.”
Are you looking for a unique way to honor someone who loves the Chesapeake Bay?
Share your loved one’s name on the online donation form in the “Honoree’s Name” field, and we’ll add their name to the Giving Tree. If your gift was $500 or more, we’ll send you a very special memento to commemorate your gift in their honor that you can share with them. This is also a special way to honor the memory of someone who has passed but kept the Chesapeake in a special place in their heart.
If you’ve already joined the Giving Tree, thank you so much!
Be sure to check back in periodically as the Giving Tree blooms with more of our generous donors.